In this episode, Ava, a Big Life Kid from Houston in the United States, tells us how she managed to work through her feelings about her parents splitting up. Meanwhile, Zara and Leo experience a big disappointment... find out how they deal with it!
LISTEN ON APPLE / ITUNES | LISTEN ON SPOTIFY | LISTEN ON GOOGLE PODCASTS
Do you want your growth mindset story to be featured on the Big Life Kids Podcast? Submit your story to Leo & Zara.
In this episode, children will:
- discover new ways to deal with anger, frustration and disappointment
- learn how to cope with major life changes, such as divorce
- get inspired by Ava, a real Big Life Kid who discovered how to control her anger
- Ava was very upset and angry when her parents separated. What’s one experience you’ve had that caused you to feel very angry?
- When you get angry, what do you do to manage your anger?
- Think of one thing that makes you angry - how can you focus on the positive side of it?
My Mouth is a Volcano by Julia Cook
This book helps children manage their emotions and communicate how they feel without causing disruption.
- When I Feel Frustrated by Michael Gordon
This picture book focuses on emotional regulation and helps children learn how to cope with strong emotions.
- Roaring Mad Riley by Allison Szczecinski M.Ed.
This story illustrates anger management in a fun and informative format.
- Exploring Big Emotions (Sesame Street video clip)
This positive song reminds children it’s okay to experience lots of different feelings at the same time and that those emotions are temporary.
Sticks Learns How to Deal With His Anger (Youtube video)
In this short clip, a puppet discovers things he can do when he is angry.
How to Manage BIG Emotions (Youtube video)
This silly video teaches children how to communicate their feelings when they are experiencing anger or other strong emotions.
1. Print off the “Strategies for Keeping Me Calm” Printable in our Resilience Kit and discuss with your child which action they will take the next time they are angry.
2. Read “5 Tips for Raising a Resilient Child with Strong Coping Skills” to discover different ways you can help your child develop strong coping skills.
3. When your child reacts angrily to disappointment, follow Parenting Coach Joy Acaso’s advice and speak with your child about how they can use this situation as an opportunity to set goals for the future. ( Watch the full video HERE)
Produced by Alexandra Eidens and Big Life Journal team. Written and directed by Sarah Cyrano. Sound design and original music by Elettra Bargiacchi. Sound mixing by Mattia Marcelli. Characters played by Sean Chiplock and Ryan Bartley. Managed by Laura Maloney.