In this episode, Evan, a Big Life Kid from Maine in the United States, tells us about his three-year journey to being chosen for the local baseball team. Meanwhile, Zara and Leo visit France and try to order a special Parisian meal... in French!
Do you want your growth mindset story to be featured on the Big Life Kids Podcast? Submit your story to Leo & Zara.
In this episode, children will:
- discover how to make practicing fun
- learn how practicing can lead to wonderful results
- be inspired by real life Big Life Kid, Evan and his perseverance
- Leo and Zara practiced their French when ordering at the restaurant. What’s something you’ve practiced recently?
- Why do you think the coach allowed Evan to finally join the baseball team?
- What’s something you may want to practice? How will you make practicing fun?
Max and Marla by Alexandra Boiger
Two aspiring Olympians who practice and persevere on their way to Olympic gold.
Dream Big by Deloris Jordan
Written by Michael Jordan’s mother, this is the true story of Michael Jordan’s perseverance towards his dreams.
- Drum Dream Girl: How One Girl's Courage Changed Music by Margarita Engle
The true story of how one girl chased her dream and changed her community by practicing.
- The Mindset of a Champion (TedX video)
Ten-year old, Carson, shares an inspiring speech on the importance of practicing and not giving up on your dreams.
- Understanding Talent (YouTube video)
A video that uncovers how athletes become successful (psst.. the answer is practicing and believing in yourself)
Sesame Street: Janelle Monae - Power of Yet (YouTube video)
An upbeat, inspiring song that reminds children that they can improve as long as they continue to work at it.
1. Print off the Resilience-Building Lunchbox Notes from our Resilience Kit. These motivational affirmations are a reminder to keep going when you don’t feel motivated to practice.
2. Rent or stream a few movies from our list of the Top 75 Growth Mindset Movies for Children. Many of the fun stories demonstrate the importance of practicing and the power of perseverance.
3. Listen to Episode 15 - Kestrel ROCKS at Climbing and learn why effort is the key to achieving your goals.
Attribution: The Pomodoro Technique® by Francesco Cirillo, Cirillo Consulting. Learn more: https://francescocirillo.com/
Produced by Alexandra Eidens and Big Life Journal team. Written and directed by Sarah Cyrano. Sound design and original music by Elettra Bargiacchi. Sound mixing by Mattia Marcelli. Characters played by Sean Chiplock and Ryan Bartley. Managed by Laura Maloney.
DON'T MISS A NEW EPISODE! When you sign up for podcast notifications, we'll let you know when a new episode goes live!