Zara and Leo head to the African Serengeti to shoot a wildlife documentary! But when they take a shortcut through a cornfield, things get strange... and scary. Find your BRAVERY and meet the African inventor who found a way to protect his herd from the local lions.
Do you want your growth mindset story to be featured on the Big Life Kids Podcast? Submit your story to Leo & Zara.
In this episode, children will:
- learn how to be courageous in the face of fear
- understand bravery comes in many forms
- be inspired by Richard Turere, an African inventor who found his courage when doing something he was passionate about
- What kept the lions from approaching Richard and his team at night?
- Describe the last time you had to be brave. How did you show courage when you were frightened?
- What animal has the strongest kick in the animal kingdom?
When You Are Brave by Pat Zietlow Miller
This encouraging tale follows a young girl who finds bravery within herself
Henry's Freedom Box: A True Story from the Underground Railroad by Ellen Levine
The courageous story of a slave who used courage to find his freedom
I Am Courage: A Book of Resilience by Susan Verde
An empowering book with affirmations to help your child be brave
1. Consider a particular situation your child may be frightened of and conduct a dress rehearsal. Have them act out how they would bravely handle the situation. These dress rehearsals will familiarize your child with new situations, making the situation feel less unfamiliar and scary.
2. Take a look at these confidence quotes and pick a few your child can remember the next time they are feeling frightened.
Produced by Alexandra Eidens and Big Life Journal team. Written and directed by Sarah Cyrano. Sound design and original music by Elettra Bargiacchi. Sound mixing by Mattia Marcelli. Characters played by Sean Chiplock and Ryan Bartley. Managed by Laura Maloney.