In this episode, Brielle from the Philippines tells us about facing one of her greatest fears: getting x-rays at the dentist! Meanwhile, Leo has his annual teeth check-up. Find out how they both rise to the challenge!
Do you want your growth mindset story to be featured on the Big Life Kids Podcast? Submit your story to Leo & Zara.
In this episode, children will:
- learn strategies to help them cope with their fears
- understand courage comes from reframing your fears
- be inspired by Big Life Kid, Brielle, and the courage she built over time
- According to Leo, what does “encourage” mean? When have you encouraged someone recently?
- Brielle built up her courage bit by bit. Have you faced a scary situation where you built up your courage over time? What helped you feel courageous?
- Brielle’s sister stayed with her the entire time she was getting her x-ray. Who was there for you when you were frightened?
Jabari Jumps by Gaia Cornwall
The story of a boy facing his fears and building courage
Brave by Stacy McAnulty
An empowering book that reminds children what it means to be brave
The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda D. Williams
A classic Halloween story about being brave
1. Listen to the Big Life Kids Podcast Episode 31: The Curious Case of Trying NEW THINGS! In this episode, Leo and Zara share that scary things, like trying something new, can be fun.
2. Children of any age can create a glitter jar. You can also use a snow globe. The glitter jar is a good activity to use when your child is worried, upset, nervous or angry. The glitter in the jar represents your child's thoughts, rushing around in a mad dash. The next time your child is upset or anxious simply have them shake the glitter jar. As they breathe deeply, they can watch the glitter float around in the jar and settle on the bottom. Find directions to make your own glitter jar HERE.
3. Try Tense and Release Muscle Relaxation. This is an exercise to relax the mind and body by progressively tensing and releasing those large muscle groups. In this activity, you will gently tense and release each large muscle group without straining too much. For best results, try to tense each muscle for five seconds. Learn more about this exercise HERE.
Produced by Alexandra Eidens and Big Life Journal team. Written and directed by Sarah Cyrano. Sound design and original music by Elettra Bargiacchi. Sound mixing by Mattia Marcelli. Characters played by Sean Chiplock and Ryan Bartley. Managed by Laura Maloney.