Zara and Leo are on a mission to hear from YOU! Find out more in our mini-episodes as Big Life Kids from across the world tell us about their amazing adventures!
In this episode, Izayah from Connecticut in the United States tells us about the challenges he faced when he hurt his finger and went to the hospital, and how the experience made him stronger.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE EPISODE GUIDE
Do you want your growth mindset story to be featured on the Big Life Kids Podcast? Submit your story to Leo & Zara.
Turn to chapter 6 "Challenges Make You Stronger" in the Big Life Journal Second Edition. In this chapter, children will brainstorm solutions for a challenge they are facing, draw the tree of life (which demonstrates they have a strong support system), be inspired by motivational quotes, and much more.
- Use this week's free printable "I am Strong Like a Tree" to help children think of loving adults, teachers, friends, thoughts, and values that keep them standing strong when facing challenges. Sign up here to get it!
- Use the "50 Positive Phrases to Build Resilience in Kids" printable (included in the Resilience Kit) for daily encouragement to improve your child's confidence. Hang this printable in a visible place where you can see it often and choose 1-3 new phrases to say each day.
- Bring the "Top 30 Children's Books on Resilience" list (included in the Resilience Kit) with you on your next trip to the library or bookstore. Ask your children to pick one book they would like to read next.
- Use the "In or Out of My Control" activity (included in the Resilience Kit) to prepare your child to face negative situations. Explain there are things they CAN'T control, such as opinions, behaviors, and words of others. Instead, they CAN control how they respond.
- Use these "Affirmation Lunchbox Notes" (included in the Resilience Kit) to create lunch box notes with empowering messages. For older kids, snap a photo of a note and send it to them via text message. You can also use the notes to assemble an affirmations poster and put it up in your child's room.
- The "Find The Positive In Every Situation" (included in the Gratitude Kit) activity will help your child find the positive in a seemingly negative situation. It's all about perspective.
- What did Izayah have to do to heal from injuring his finger?
- What's a challenge that you have overcome this year?
- How did you overcome that challenge?
For Parents and Teachers
- 7 Ways to Encourage Your Child to Try New Things
- 4 Steps to Help Kids Cope with Feelings about Failure
- Top 30 Children's Books About Resilience
- How To Raise Resilient Kids Who Never Give Up (Based On Science)
- 9 Activities To Build Grit and Resilience in Children
Produced by Alexandra Eidens and Big Life Journal team. Written and directed by Sarah Cyrano. Sound design and original music by Elettra Bargiacchi. Sound mixing by Mattia Marcelli. Characters played by Sean Chiplock and Ryan Bartley. Managed by Kait Bibb.
DON'T MISS A NEW EPISODE! When you sign up for podcast notifications, we'll let you know when a new episode goes live!