A Symphony of Trash: The Children’s Orchestra of Paraguay
In this episode, Zara and Leo travel to Paraguay. They discover Los Reciclados de Cateura, the children’s orchestra that plays with instruments made out of recycled garbage. Follow their journey and find out how YOU can dream big and believe in yourself!
Listen on Spotify | Listen on Apple | Listen on Google Podcasts
In this episode, children will:
- discover what it means to live a big life
- learn about a growth mindset and neurogenesis
- learn they can grow your brain by learning new things
be inspired by The Recycled Orchestra of Cateura from Paraguay
- Read Chapter 1 "Believe in Yourself" of the Big Life Journal - Second Edition. In this chapter, children learn about believing in themselves and practice positive self-talk.
- Ada's Violin: The Story of the Recycled Orchestra of Paraguay
- Your Fantastic Elastic Brain: Stretch It, Shape It by J. Deak
- Bubble Gum Brain by Julia Cook
The Recyclers: From Trash Comes Triumph by 60 Minutes
- The World Sends us Garbage, We Send Back Music TedTalk by Favio Chavez
- Brain Jump with Ned the Neuron: Challenges Grow Your Brain by Kizoom
1. Use Your Amazing Brain Grows And Changes poster in the Growth Mindset Printables Kit to demonstrate how we can build new connections in the brain by learning new things and practicing.
2. Create a Jar of Awesome (in the Podcast Activity Kit) to celebrate the small wins that move your child closer to their dream! It can make all the difference in how they feel about their progress and will help them stay motivated. Every time they feel unmotivated or discourage, re-read the wins from their jar. It will help them to keep going!
3. Have your children complete the 5-Day Self-Love Challenge (in the Challenges Kit) to cultivate their confidence and build self-esteem. The challenge will help children discover their strengths and self-worth and practice creating affirmations.
4. Color the Growth Mindset Coloring Sheets in the Growth Mindset Printables Kit as a fun way to continue your discussion on growth mindset. Your children can color as they listen to the Big Life Kids Podcast. In class, students can color as part of their downtime activity.
- What is a growth mindset?
- Why is it important to have a growth mindset?
- Why do you think children who played in the orchestra became so successful?
For Parents and Teachers
- 7 Activities to Help Your Child Develop a Positive Attitude
- 9 Activities To Build Grit and Resilience in Children
- 7 New (And Fun) Ways for Kids To Do Affirmations
Produced by Alexandra Eidens and Big Life Journal team. Written and directed by Sarah Cyrano. Sound design and original music by Elettra Bargiacchi. Sound mixing by Mattia Marcelli. Characters played by Sean Chiplock and Ryan Bartley. Managed by Kait Bibb.
DON'T MISS A NEW EPISODE! When you sign up for podcast notifications, we'll let you know when a new episode goes live!
10 thoughts on “Episode 1 - Discover Growth Mindset and How to Believe in Yourself”
June 11, 2020 at 19:00pm
Marie Therese Pirotta says:
March 17, 2021 at 19:48pm
jayden thayer says:
March 17, 2021 at 19:15pm
April 7, 2020 at 21:32pm
April 7, 2020 at 21:34pm
I LOVE THIS PODCAST
Outstanding/ brilliant/ creative
it is so good and awesome
Its a great resource for teachers to use in the classroom but would be more engaging if there was a or a poster or picture to look at during the podcast . My kids are visual learners and they need to make the connection to what they are listening to during the audio podcasts. It would make it more user friendly for parents to use at home .
i love the podcast