Zara and Leo wake up in the middle of the Malaysian rainforest beside a hungry leopard! Find out how we can use gratitude to help us appreciate and take care of the environment, as we meet the wildlife biologist on a mission to protect the world’s smallest bears.
In this episode, children will:
- discover why being grateful can change their life
- travel to Malaysia
- be inspired by Dr. Siew Te Wong, a wildlife biologist
Read Chapter 4 "Be Grateful" of the Big Life Journal - Second Edition and
children will reflect on things they are grateful for.
- Meet the Superman saving the sun bears of Malaysia by CNN
- Protecting the Sun Bears of Borneo by National Geographic
- Sun Bears: Studying the World's Smallest Bear
- Story of Mary The Bear TedTalk by Dr. Wong Siew
1. Develop an attitude of gratitude using the Gratitude Cube and My Gratitude Journal (in the Podcast Activity Kit) to help get your kids to start thinking about what they are grateful for in their daily lives. Helping your kids develop an attitude of gratitude can be fun and build a connection!
2. Take a Gratitude Walk together. While you walk, name things you're grateful for, such as the warm sun or the birds singing. Have your children or students play the Gratitude Scavenger Hunt (in the Gratitude Kit)
3. Use the worksheet Finding The Positive In Every Situation (in the Gratitude Kit) to have your children practice looking on the bright side of things and finding things they can appreciate even in seemingly negative situations.
4. Complete the 7-Day Gratitude Challenge (Challenges Kit) together as a family or classroom.
- Why did Dr. Siew Te Wong decide to take care of animals?
- Why is it important for all of us to be grateful for nature?
- What are some things or people you are grateful for today?
For Parents and Teachers
- 3 Effective Ways to Raise a Grateful Child
- 7 Activities to Help Your Child Develop a Positive Attitude
- How to Teach Children to be Grateful
Produced by Alexandra Eidens and Big Life Journal team. Written and directed by Sarah Cyrano. Sound design and original music by Elettra Bargiacchi. Sound mixing by Mattia Marcelli. Characters played by Sean Chiplock and Ryan Bartley. Managed by Kait Bibb.
DON'T MISS A NEW EPISODE! When you sign up for podcast notifications, we'll let you know when a new episode goes live!