The Great Barrier Reef and Marita the Engineering Seahorse
Zara and Leo have accidentally crash-landed into the Great Barrier Reef! Will they find a way back from the bottom of the ocean? Will Zara be able to get over her fear of failure? Will Leo be able to eat a whole cake in under 28 seconds?
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE EPISODE GUIDE
In this episode, you will:
- discover why mistakes & failures help us grow
- travel to Australia
- be inspired by Marita Cheng, the founder of RoboGals
Want to Learn More
- Marita Cheng - Robo Gal
- How a Failed Invention Led to a Potentially Life-Saving New Idea (NPR)
- What’s an Engineer? (Crash Course for Kids)
- Jessi Has a Problem! (SciShow Kids)
- Mistakes That Worked by Charlotte Foltz Jones
- Lego Chain Reactions Science & Building Kit
- 21 STEM Books for Kids
- Books About Women in STEM
- Join our “Build Your Own Robot” challenge!
- Check out these easy robotics projects for kids
- Build mini Lego robots
- Why is learning from failure important?
- When things don’t go how we planned, what can you do to process and grow? (breathing, counting, etc.)
- Think of a time that you made a mistake or failed at something. What did you learn? What would you do differently next time? (Parents and teachers share an example from your life.)
- Discuss the acronym FAIL (First Attempt In Learning)
For Parents and Teachers
- 4 Steps to Help Kids Cope with Feelings about Failure
- 7 Ways to Teach Kids Failure is a Great Thing
- 5 Effective Ways to Help You Perfectionist Child
- Famous Failures Kit
- Growth Mindset Printable Kit
Produced by Alexandra Eidens and Big Life Journal team. Written and directed by Sarah Cyrano. Sound design and original music by Elettra Bargiacchi. Sound mixing by Mattia Marcelli. Characters played by Sean Chiplock and Gillian Bellinger. Managed by Kait Bibb.
DON'T MISS A NEW EPISODE! When you sign up for podcast notifications, we'll let you know when a new episode goes live!